TUMMY TUCKS – ABDOMINOPLASTY – GENERAL INFORMATION
Tummy Tuck surgery (Abdominoplasty) is a cosmetic surgery procedure primarily for women who have been pregnant or women and men who lost a significant amount of weight. The Tummy Tuck surgery takes 2–3 hours and plastic surgeon removes excess skin and fat from the mid and lower abdomen. Our Prague plastic surgeons use classical stitches, which are removed in 10 days after the surgery.
TYPES OF TUMMY TUCKS:
- Standard Full Tummy Tuck (Full Abdominoplasty) – is an excellent operation for women or men who have loose skin above and below the belly button that does not go away with weight loss or exercise.
- Mini Tummy Tuck (Mini-Abdominoplasty) – is a smaller operation than a standard full tummy tucks, with a shorter scar, and the belly button is not released or moved. It is advised for clients whose skin laxity and muscle weakness problems are limited to the area below the belly button.
- Extended Tummy Tuck (Extended Abdominoplasty) – is similar to a standard full tummy tuck, but the incision is extended to include excision of skin and fat from the areas of hip and lower back. This longer incision enables the plastic surgeon to deal with bulging and excess skin of areas of your hips and back that aren’t addressed in a standard abdominoplasty technique.
- Tummy Tuck with Liposuction – tummy tuck removes only fat of the lower abdomen. If you have significant fat in the upper abdomen and also loose skin in the lower abdomen, the plastic surgeon can advise you tummy tuck with liposuction. For some clients he might also advise tummy tuck with liposuction of upper abdomen, waist and flanks (sides).
TUMMY TUCK AND STRETCH MARKS
- Stretch marks can not be corrected with a tummy tuck, although these may be removed or somewhat improved if they are primarily located on the areas where excess skin will be excised, generally those treated areas below the belly button.
OBESITY AND TUMMY TUCK
Obesity is the reason to avoid or postpone a Tummy Tuck (abdominoplasty)
- If you are obese, the circulation to your abdominal skin and fat may be too poor for proper healing following tummy tuck. You will be at high risk for infection and wound separation.
- How to find out whether your weight is healthy for a Tummy Tuck surgery? You can use BMI calculator from the NHS where you enter data about your age, height and weight. It will come with a result whether you have a healthy BMI. Healthy BMI is between 18-25. Clients with higher BMI than 29-30 are advised on further healthy diet and exercise to lose more weight. Having high BMI means you are overweight or obese, the operating areas would not heal well and the final outcome would not look beautiful. Please understand the higher BMI the higer risks involved during general anaesthesia or post-operative period.
Tummy Tuck after Gastric Band/Bypass or Gastric Sleeve surgery
- If you underwent one of the following gastric surgeries you probably lost lots of weight during short period of time. If you consider a Tummy Tuck surgery it is necessary to achieve your goal weight and to be stabilized on this weight for 6 months. If you plan to lose more weight it is necessary to postpone Tummy Tuck procedure as any further weight-loss or weight-gain will negatively impact the final outcome of the treatment.
Tummy Tuck after Pregnancy
- you are advised to start considering Tummy Tuck surgery at least one year after giving birth or one year after stopping breastfeeding. During this time is your body changing and if the surgery would be performed sooner the final results of your Tummy Tuck would be negatively affected by those changes.
IF YOU’RE CONSIDERING TUMMY TUCK SURGERY (ABDOMINOPLASTY)…
Tummy Tuck, technically known more as „abdominoplasty“ is a major surgical procedure to remove excess skin and fat from the middle and lower abdomen and to tighten the muscles of the abdominal wall.
Tummy tuck surgery can dramatically reduce the appearance of a protruding abdomen. But please bear in mind, it does produce a permanent scar, which, depending on the extent of the original problem and the surgery required to correct it, can extend from hip to hip.
Tummy Tuck surgery (Abdominoplasty) flattens a protruding tummy caused by weak abdominal muscles, weight gain or pregnancy – areas that do not respond well to diet or exercise because the skin has been stretched. Prior to surgery, a complete medical history is taken in order to evaluate your general health. The plastic surgeon will discuss realistic expectations and will determine the extent of the surgery required. We will ask you to inform us and the plastic surgeon whether you smoke and if you are taking any medicines.
THE BEST CANDIDATES FOR TUMMY TUCK SURGERY (ABDOMINOPLASTY)
The best candidates for abdominoplasty are men or women who are in relatively good shape but are bothered by a large fat deposit or loose abdominal skin that won’t respond to diet or exercise.
The tummy tuck surgery is particularly helpful to women who, through multiple pregnancies, have stretched their abdominal muscles and skin beyond the point where they can return to normal. Loss of skin elasticity in older patients, which frequently occurs with slight obesity, can also be improved. Patients who intend to lose a lot of weight should postpone the surgery.
Also, women who plan future pregnancies should wait, as vertical muscles in the abdomen that are tightened during surgery can separate again during pregnancy. If you have scarring from previous abdominal surgery, your doctor may recommend against tummy tuck or may caution you that scars could be unusually prominent.
Tummy tuck surgery can enhance your appearance and your self-confidence, but it won’t necessarily change your looks to match your ideal, or cause other people to treat you differently. Before you decide to have surgery, think carefully about your expectations and discuss them with plastic surgeon.
BEFORE TUMMY TUCK SURGERY (ABDOMINOPLASTY)
Pharmaceuticals containing acetylsalicylic acid (Acylpirin, Aspirin, and Anopyrin etc.) should not be used for 3 weeks before the Tummy Tuck surgery, as they decrease clotting time of blood. In case you are a smoker you are advised to stop smoking or at least to cut down on cigarettes. Smoking slows down recovery process and it can also increase a risk or complications. Patients should relieve themselves thoroughly in the evening and in the morning before the tummy tuck operation.
TUMMY TUCK SURGERY (ABDOMINOPLASTY) – OPERATION
A tummy tuck surgery will flatten a protruding tummy by removing excess skin and fat, achieving a firmer and flatter tummy and a slimmer waist.
Prior to tummy tuck surgery, the plastic surgeon marks your incisions with a kin-marking pen. Before the tummy tuck surgeon marks you, be sure to tell him about any special clothing goals you have. If you want your scars to be hidden beneath a bikini or a favourite style of panties, then you need to let the plastic surgeon know that. If this is important to you, you can bring the garments with you at marking time.
Tummy Tuck Surgery takes 2–3 hours and is performed in an operating theatre under general anaesthesia. The incision is usually made at the bikini line so that any scarring can be hidden beneath the underwear. The skin is then separated from the abdominal wall and lifted up, exposing the loose tissue that covers the abdominal muscles. The excess skin and fat are then removed and the remaining skin pulled down over the tummy.
Finally, the tummy tuck surgeon sutures the incision, and drains are usually inserted to eliminate fluid build-up. Bandages are then applied to the area. In some cases it is advised to combine the tummy tuck with liposuction in order to eliminate localized fat accumulation. The hospitalisation period, depending on the extent of the surgery, is for 3 nights at the cosmetic surgery clinic.
AFTER TUMMY TUCK SURGERY (ABDOMINOPLASTY) – POST-OPERATIONAL COURSE
You will remain for 2–4 nights at the cosmetic surgery clinic. On the first day after the operation only a tea diet is allowed. You should rise slowly out of bed without making any quick movements, and you should get up „over side“. This means to lie on their side at first and only after this has been accomplished, should you get into a sitting position.
The drain, which is introduced during the operation into the operating incision, is usually removed within 48 hours. The stitches are removed in 10 days after the surgery.
Tight underwear specially designed for this kind of operation, must be worn for a period of 1–2 months after the operation. With Beauty in Prague this underwear is already included in the price of the cosmetic surgery.
Building up one’s muscles and any greater physical strain is not recommended for a period of 2 months if, during the operation, the gap between direct abdominal muscles has been removed. The cicatrices should be covered with a strip of hypoallergenic plaster for a period of 1–3 months after the operation. Bruising and swelling around the treated area will disappear within a few weeks. Scars from the surgery will remain, but fade significantly over time.
HOW WILL I FEEL AFTER THE TUMMY TUCK SURGERY (ABDOMINOPLASTY)?
You will probably feel tired, sleepy and suffer from pain especially in 1–3 days after the surgery. You will be given some painkillers and tablets for reducing the swelling. Our Prague plastic surgeons will usually also prescribe antibiotics as a prevention of any potential infection.
You might also feel unhappy after a few days. This is normal and is caused due to the stress, general anaesthetic, lack of patience with the healing problems, more pain than you expected or the fact that because you underwent tummy tuck abroad you miss your home and family.
Some clients suffer of constipation. We advise you to bring some gentle medication or you can buy it in Prague.
IS THE RECOVERY AFTER TUMMY TUCK SURGERY (ABDOMINOPLASTY) PAINFUL?
According to our client’s experience they did suffer from a pain. However, when you will be leaving the clinic you will be prescribe painkillers by the surgeon. You will probably feel discomfort, swelling, heaviness, and numbness in the areas where surgery was performed.
POSSIBLE RISKS AND COMPLICATIONS AFTER TUMMY TUCK SURGERY (ABDOMINOPLASTY)
The specific risks and the suitability of tummy tuck for a given individual can be determined only at the time of consultation. All surgical procedures have some degree of risk. Minor complications that do not affect the outcome occur occasionally. Major complications are rare.
WHAT TO BRING WITH YOU TO PRAGUE?
Mimi from the UK – Tummy Tuck and Liposuction in Prague – Beauty in Prague Review
Lynn from the UK – Tummy Tuck Review – Beauty in Prague
Leanne from the UK – Tummy Tuck with Liposuction Abroad Review in Prague
Jessie from the UK – Tummy Tuck with Liposuction abroad at Beauty in Prague Review
Page last reviewed by Tamara Ždiňáková on March 20, 2019.
Tummy Tuck costs
Below you can find the prices for different Tummy Tuck procedures. The decision whether it will be a Mini or Full Tummy Tuck will be advised based on the pictures which is considered as a pre-consultation.
What is included in the Tummy Tuck price?
- Consultation with our Prague Plastic Surgeons
- Full Examination by a General Practitioner and Pre-operative Tests (incl. blood tests and ECG test)
- Cosmetic Surgery Procedure
- General and/or Local Anaesthetic, all Medication
- 1–4 Nights stay at the Cosmetic Surgery Clinic *(if the surgery is performed under general anaesthetic)
- Post-operative Aftercare, Check-ups and Stitches Removal
- Support Garment or Post-operative Bra worn after Cosmetic Surgery
- Internal transfers between your accommodation and the clinic
- The flights – starting at the cost of £50/60 Eur for a return flight (only 1hr 30 min from the UK and Ireland)
- Accommodation in a hotel or apartment next to the clinic with the average price £50/60 Eur for one person or £60/70 Eur for two people
- Pick up from the airport by our driver at the cost £30/35 Eur per journey
|Mini Tummy Tuck||Our price|
|Mini Tummy Tuck – correction of lower abdomen, incl. muscles tightening||£1,619||1,989€|
|Mini Tummy Tuck with liposuction of upper abdomen||£2,099||2,579€|
|Mini Tummy Tuck with liposuction of upper abdomen, waist and sides||£2,319|| 2,849€|
|Full Tummy Tuck|
|Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)||£2,209||2,709€|
|Tummy Tuck with Muscles Tightening||£2,239||2,749€|
|Tummy Tuck with Liposuction of Tummy, Waist and Hips||£2,969|| 3,649€|
Questions about Tummy Tuck
We have tried to gather most often questions from our clients regarding Tummy Tuck surgery, however, if you have not recieved answers to your questions we are more than happy to help, so please do not hesitate to contact us.
I have high BMI, can I undergo Tummy Tuck surgery?
Our tummy tuck surgeons advise clients to have a healthy BMI (Body Mass Index) prior to undergo Tummy Tuck surgery. If you are overweight ot obese, the circulation to your abdominal skin and fat may be too poor for proper healing following tummy tuck. You will be at high risk for infection and wound separation. Healthy BMI is 25. You can undergo the surgery when this number is decreased to 27. It is also important to be on this stabilised weight for 4-6 months before undergoing the surgery. Obesity is the reason to avoid or postpone a Tummy Tuck (abdominoplasty) and clients with high BMI are contraindicated at our clinic due health reasons.
Will Tummy Tuck remove my stretch marks?
Stretch marks can not be corrected with a tummy tuck, although these may be removed or somewhat improved if they are primarily located on the areas where excess skin will be excised, generally those treated areas below the belly button.
Is the surgery abroad safe?
We have been specialising for treating clients from the UK and Ireland for over 20 years. As the Czech republic is a part of the European Union our plastic surgeons, medical staff and clinic have to follow the same rules as the clinics in the UK and Ireland. Every surgery caries some level of risk, so it is important for us to find out as much as we can about you prior to your arrival. We will ask you to fill in the Medical questionnaire which will be assessed by our plastic surgeons, head physician and head anaesthesiologist.
Why is surgery so cheaper compared to the prices in the UK and Ireland?
The difference in prices is mainly due to lower cost of living and wages of medical staff compared to the UK and Ireland.
Do you offer a consultation in the UK or Ireland?
No, we do not offer personal consultations with plastic surgeons in the UK or Ireland. We offer a free email consultation. We will ask you to fill in our Medical Questionnaire online and send us some photos of the areas to be treated. All information will be reviewed with a plastic surgeon specialising in the treatment requested, head physician and head anaesthesiologist. We will respond to you within 1-2 working days with cosmetic surgery package which will include details about procedure, information about your surgeon, costs, available dates and phone numbers of our previous clients from the UK and Ireland. The final decision about the extent of cosmetic surgery procedure is made at your initial consultation with your plastic surgeon at the clinic in Prague before your surgery.
Do I choose a plastic surgeon?
If one of our plastic surgeons was recommended to you you can add her or his name when contacting us. We will confirm whether this plastic surgeons is specialising in the choosen procedures. In other cases your photos will be reviewed by a plastic surgeon who is specialising in the treatment you wish to undergo. We will also provide you with some telephone numbers from our previous clients from the UK and Ireland who are happy to speak to you about their experience with us.
Can I stay shorter time than advised by you?
In your cosmetic surgery package you will receive information from your plastic surgeon what is the minimum stay in Prague for your treatment. This stay is based on the time during which most of complications can occure. During this time you will have regular check-ups with a plastic surgeon (every 2-3 days or based on healing) to make sure you are healing fine and you can return back home safely. We take your health very seriously and expect you to stay in Prague for the correct recovery time. If you leave Prague against the advice of your surgeon then you will be asked to sign a legal document taking full responsibility for your recovery and the outcome of your surgery. In signing this document, you will forfeit any right to free corrective surgery, should any problems arise. Please understand the most beautiful results and your safety is our priority.
Can I have two or more surgeries at the same time?
Tummy Tuck is a major surgery which means being long time under general anaesthetic (3-4 hours). The most often combination is Liposuction. Please apply for our free email consultation to find out more.
What everything is included in the price of the surgery?
Our price of Tummy Tuck includes:
- Consultation with a Prague Plastic Surgeon
- Full Examination and Pre-operative Tests by a Physician
- Cosmetic Surgery
- General Anaesthesia, all Medication
- 2 Nights at the Clinic
- Post-operative Aftercare incl. check-ups with a plastic surgeon and Stitches Removal
- Support garment worn after Cosmetic Surgery
How do I go about booking the surgery?
First step is to apply for our Free email consultation by filling in the Medical Questionnaire and emailing us the photos. You will receive a quote with available dates and contacts on our previous clients within 1-2 working days. If you decide to book a date we will ask you to pay the deposit of £300 by a credit or debit card online based on a Booking form prepared and emailed by you. Accommodation and airport pick-up will be organised by us. More details are available in How it works section.
What will happen from my arrival to Prague?
Our driver Stan will pick you up from the airport. Stan speaks English and will help you with luggage as well as putting you at ease upon your arrival to Prague. Prior to your arrival to Prague you will be provided with Stan´s mobile number, so you can contact him directly in case of any delays. Stan will also provide you with information what time you will be picked-up the following day by our drivers for the pre-operative tests and surgery. Please pack as little as possible as it is not advised to carry heavy items after the surgery.
Is the flight included in the price?
The flights are at additonal cost starting at £50 / 60 Eur for a return flight from most UK an Irish airports. The price depends on availablity, season etc. We will provide you the list of airlines which fly to Prague and would like to ask you to book it by yourself. The flights take around 1hr 30 min.
What about the accommodation?
The accommodation is organised by us. We will email you the list of available hotels and self-catering apartments next or close to the clinic. The accommodation for one person starts at £30/night or £45 for two people. However, these prices for accommodation are just a guide. The price can vary depending on availability, exchange rates and whether it is high or low season. We will do our best to get you the best price for your accommodation. The list of available accommodation is emailed after completing free email consultation and the deposit of £300 is paid.
How is post-operative care?
While you will be in Prague recovering you will be seen by a plastic surgeon for regular check-ups every 2-3 working days or depending on your healing. You will be also given 24/7 emergency number which you can call. After the minimum stay in Prague which will be advised to you it is safe to fly back home. You will be advised on further aftercare which is necesarry to follow to achieve the best possible outcome of your surgery. After your departure from Prague we will keep in touch and you can email us any questions you have, photos of how you heal and call us on our UK freenumber: 0800 023 2592. In an unlikely event of a correction needed the treatment is provided free of charge.