SMILE stands for Small Incision Lenticule Extraction, and is a bladeless procedure which is minimally invasive. This novel refractive surgery is the most recent, advanced laser vision correction. The procedure quickly reshapes the cornea of your eye. The procedure is carried out exclusively with one femtosecond laser (Visumax by Carl Zeiss).
ReLEx SMILE Laser Eye Surgery & Recovery:
This surgery is performed on outpatient’s basis. You will leave the clinic the same day – after the surgery will be performed. The treatment itself takes about 30 seconds, however, you will be in the operating theater for about 15 minutes. Two hours prior to the treatment anaesthetic drops are applied by a nurse to make sure the procedure is painless. You will be waiting for this time at the clinic. Patients can see after the surgery, the eyes will be not covered, so the treatment is suitable for single travelers too.
In the first couple of days after the surgery, you will put antibiotic and anti-inflammatory drops into the eye that underwent the surgery. You will put moisturising eye drops to your eyes for the next couple of weeks. Most patients are able to start work as usual between the second and the fifth day after the surgery
By day 1, 80% of the visual correction is noticeable, with the full improvement achieved gradually over the next few weeks.
Why ReLex Smile is better than Lasik?
- A key procedural difference between LASIK and ReLEX SMILE is that the former involves the creation of a flap, while the latter does not.
- SMILE surgery is a newer type of laser eye surgery. It has a faster recovery time and no flap related problems.
- ReLEx SMILE incision is 1/5 smaller than that of LASIK which means that normal production and regulation of tear film is better in SMILE.
- SMILE is considered key-hole laser eye surgery as it only involves creating a 3mm opening in the cornea; typically LASIK has an opening of 18-20mm.
- SMILE provides potentially better biomechanical stability of the cornea than Lasik treatment
- Much less chance of developing dry eyes
- No chance of the flap dislocating, shifting, moving, or folding
- Much better for the long term stability of the cornea
Eye Clinic in Prague
The clinic is located in newly built premisses with more than 2,000 m2, a total of 12 specialist outpatient departments and four hi-tech operating theaters. Thanks to this it is considered to be one of the biggest eye clinic in the Czech republic with the most advanced surgical and technical facilities and equipment.
Our cooperating Eye Centre in Prague is a private eye clinic accredited by the Ministry of Health of the Czech Republic and has provided healthcare in the field of ophthalmology for over 20 years; since 2000.
With over 100,000 surgeries performed, the clinic is the leader in Prague and the Czech republic for Lens Replacement and Cataract surgery. Thanks to an excellent technical background and surgeons renowned, not only in the Czech Republic but also abroad, you and your eyes are in the safest hands possible. The Eye surgeons are members of many prestigious worldwide organizations gathering first-class specialists in Ophthalmology, Laser surgery, Lens Replacement and Cataract surgery.
The eye clinic is a long-term holder of ISO 9001:2015 certification in the field: “Providing outpatient diagnostic and treatment care in the field of ophthalmology, specializing in cataract surgery, refractive surgery and retinal surgery.”
This certificate confirms the above-standard quality of the treatments provided.
Page last reviewed by Tamara Ždiňáková on May 24, 2023.